Fitness @ 40 and Finding Your Fit
Was such an honour speaking with Allan from 40+ Fitness about my book #FindingYourFit!! Take a listen!
Follow him on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/40plusfitnesspodcast/
Take a listen!
Making fitness a lifelong habit
Kathleen explains that becoming fit is an active, lifelong process. She details seven strategies that will help set you up for success:
- Stop aiming for perfection – Something is always better than nothing. Forget the all or nothing approach to health.
- Convenience and consistency is key – Find ways to make your workouts convenient, which will contribute to long-term consistency and success.
- Find your exercise bliss – Adopt fitness activities that you enjoy and will want to do consistently.
- Find your why – Tie a deeper meaning to why you are committing to your fitness lifestyle.
- Find your inner athlete – This helps in working toward your long-term goal.
- Flip your negative thoughts – Moving is a privilege. Think positively and be grateful for the ability to move.
- Mindfulness and preparation equals success –Determine your priorities and plan for the week ahead.
Kathleen also speaks about the concept of goals versus wishes. Your goals may not be connected to your life and reality. To adjust this, follow these six steps:
- Stop using a “too busy” excuse – Pair your fitness activities with other non-negotiable activities.
- Gradual progression – Don’t try to tackle everything at one time. Try adding one good habit and removing one bad habit per week.
- Establish a WWWH plan – Be realistic about what you’ll do, where you’ll do it, when and how.
- Respecting your genetics and the realities of your life – Be the best version of you possible.
- Form goals that are relevant and important to you – This may include engaging in activities with family members.
- Learn from yourself and others – Determine what was successful/unsuccessful and learn from that.