Kathleen Trotter Official Bio
Kathleen Trotter is a fitness expert, media personality, personal trainer, writer, life coach, and overall health enthusiast. She is the author of Finding Your Fit. A Compassionate Trainer’s Guide to Making Fitness a Lifelong Habit. Kathleen’s passion is motivating others to “find their fit.” Kathleen does this through writing, regular TV and media appearances, working with clients (ranging from athletes of all ages to individuals living with Parkinson’s and osteoporosis), and speaking engagements.
Kathleen started her work as a fitness writer at Chatelaine in 2010. Shortly after, she started blogging for The Huffington Post and filming and writing for The Globe and Mail. Her work at the Globe includes over 50 online fitness how-to videos, inclusion in the Globe’s online book on running, over 30 “Stealth” exercises, an “Ask the Trainer” column, a “Sweat Test” column, and a “Health Advisory” column. Kathleen has also published articles in magazines such as Canadian Running, Glow, Alive, Today's Parent, Healthy Directions, Impact Magazine, and Sharp, and for ParticipAction.
Since 2016, Kathleen has made monthly appearances on Breakfast Television Montreal and Rogers Ottawa, and she is regularly asked to make TV and media appearances for outlets including CTV News, CHCH Morning Live Hamilton, the CBC, Global Montreal, ABC News 7, and Rogers London. Kathleen has been a guest on radio and podcasts including The John Oakley Show, Radio Canada , Steele and Drex , 40+ Fitness Podcast, KOGO, Naturally Savvy with Andrea Donsky and Lisa Davis, The Other F Word, and Wellness Force, and is a regular on Zommer Radio’s “The Tonic”.
Currently, Kathleen works as an ambassador for Flaman Fitness. Past media partnerships have included Sears, Canada Beef, and Quesada.
Kathleen’s new-found passion is motivational speaking. Kathleen’s speaking engagements have included a series of motivational lectures at the Toronto Public Library, guest lecturing at the University of Toronto and Concordia, lunch and learns for the University of Toronto, and corporate presentations including her recent Cisco Women of Influence keynote talk.
Kathleen loves her job. Her mission is to inspire as many people as possible to adopt (in an intelligent way) a healthier lifestyle and to make healthier choices because they love themselves, not because they hate themselves. Kathleen does not believe in body shame. Kathleen does believe in goals and results. She does not believe in being “easy” on yourself or letting negative “brain propaganda” win. She does believe in self-compassion and holding yourself accountable. Kathleen does not believe in being active to “create a whole new you.” Kathleen does believe in being you, but working toward creating a “you” who has more healthy habits this month than last month. She believes in learning and growth, passion, gratitude, and actively finding pockets of joy. Most important, Kathleen believes in actively creating the version of yourself that you want to be, and that the key to health success is finding YOUR fit — hence the name of her first book Finding Your Fit.
Kathleen’s recent highlights include being named one of Canada’s most influential fitness professionals, her Facebook page being voted fourth on Feedspot’s list of the “25 Best Fitness Blogs”, partnering with her friend and colleague Harry Scott on a series of YouTube videos called “She Said He Said Trainer Chats”, and her second book being slotted for release in January 2019.
Kathleen holds an M.Sc. in Exercise Science from the University of Toronto and a nutrition diploma from the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, and she is a C.H.E.K. Level 3 trainer, a Level 2 Fascial Stretch Therapist, and a certified Pilates Equipment Specialist. Kathleen is currently working through certification to become a life coach.
Some additional awards, media appearances, and achievements include the following:
- Voted one of Toronto’s top 10 trainers by Blog TO
- Completed 1 Ironwoman, 8 half Ironwomans, 10 marathons, and too many half marathons to count
- Monthly guest on Breakfast Television Montreal (since Dec 2016)
- Monthly guest on Rogers TV Ottawa (Since Dec 2016)
- Guest on ABC News 7
- Guest on KATU Portland
- Toronto Public Library Talks throughout 2017
- Sold out book signing at Indigo Eaton Centre, October 2016 and 2017
- Presenter at the Canadian Society of Exercise Professional’s (CSEP) continuing education day in 2017
- Radio interviews including Radio Canada , Steele and Drex , 40+ Fitness Podcast, KOGO, Naturally Savvy with Andrea Donsky and Lisa Davis, Wellness Force
- Guest on CHCH, January 2017
- Two sold out Indigo book signings in 2017
- Interviewed for CBC Radio’s annual New Years’ resolution themed marathon of over 18 interviews. For the past four years, Kathleen has spoken with anchors stationed across Canada — from Dave in Whitehorse on Airplay to Robyn in Victoria on All Points West to Gill Deacon from Here and Now in Toronto
- Spokesperson for Canada Beef, promoting the nutritional benefits of protein (fall and winter 2016)
- Spokesperson for Quesada Burritos and Tacos (2014-2017)
- Opened Boutique Training studio in 2015.
- Guest on Breakfast Television, January 2015
- Guest on CHCH News, 2014 to 2017 (kathleentrotter.com/chch-morning-live-and-sears-canada)
- Part of Sears Canada’s 12 Days of Fitness
- Guest on Downright Domestic, December 2014 (youtube.com/watch?v=dPOTz-Ie_-Q)
- Contributed to The Globe and Mail’s ebook Running, 2014. More information can be found here
- Guest on Beyond the Cheers radio show, February and April 2014
- Semi-regular guest on CTV News, 2013 to 2014
- Guest on CBC’s Metro Morning, January 2014
- Guest lecturer at Concordia University, February 2014
- Participant on a panel for Crest Canada on “How to make sustainable health changes,” Summer 2012
- Started Life Coaching certification, July 2017
- Completed Holistic Nutritionist certification through the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, Winter 2017
- Completed a Master’s in Exercise Science at the University of Toronto, September 2013
- Honors BA from York University
- CanFitPro Personal Trainer
- Pilates Equipment Specialist, Body Harmonics
- Paul Chek, Level 3 Practitioner
- Level 2 Fascial Stretch Therapist
- Poliquin, Level 2 Strength Coach
- Poliquin, Biosignature
- Practitioner CanFitPro group exercise instructor (step, aerobics, muscle conditions, bootcamp, etc)
- Attended CanFitPro Nutrition and Wellness lecture
- Attended CanFitPro Older Adult Specialist lecture
- Attended CanFitPro Pre- and Post-natal Specialist lecture
- Attended Poliquin Program Design lecture
- Medical Exercise Specialist
- Swiss Ball Specialist
- Bosu Ball Specialist
- Core Board Specialist
- Pilates Instructor
- Pilates Mat Instructor
- Pre- and post-natal Pilates
- Pilates for osteoporosis
- Pilates for scoliosis
- Pilates for neurological disorders
- Pilates for cervical spine health
- Twist Sport Balance Instructor
- Kettle Bell Specialist
- Rotating Disk Specialist
- Glider Specialist
- Pilates “Edge” Specialist
- Riverdale Therapeutic Pilates Course
- Pilates for runners
- Certified in Rehab for the Upper Body, Rehab Harmonics
- Pilates rehab for the hip and knee
- Knowledge of and experience with autoimmune and inflammatory diseases such as lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis